Sunday 5 February 2017

The Man From Christie's


Clown, 1996-99, hand coloured etching.


Later in August 2014


I forgot to mention! Rather fabulously and with great timing, Richard Lloyd, the head of Prints International at Christie's New York, emailed me that summer saying he was a huge fan of dad's prints. And could we meet when he's next in town. I thought about it for about half a second, then thought, 'yeah, ok, if we must'. 

Next thing I know I'm sitting in a cafe with Richard in Mayfair drinking mint tea with a silver spoon resting heavily and beautifully on my saucer. Richard is very English, not American at all. He has thick hair, a sharp suit, and Joe 90 spectacles. He politely listens to my story and tells me a few of his. We get on. I'm thrilled that a non friend of dad's likes his work. My confidence increases as I do think my dad's work is bloody good!
Richard was to become my 'rich uncle', rich in terms of advice and support. He flies in for business, we meet at Christie's, he whisks me off at high speed to a local coffee shop (he walks bloody fast). We speed chat and leave. It's great!! I'm very lucky. I have to say I'm slightly perplexed by this whole new world, it seems rather like a foreign language to me, a bit like Russian or something, but with beautiful objects so I'm going to carry on...

1 comment:

  1. Really looking forward to reading more about this incredible journey!

    ReplyDelete