Sunday 5 February 2017

Legal stuff.


'Official' by Ken Kiff

August 2014

Legal stuff...that's important, no? Contracts (sharp inhalation of breath). Jeez, what to do? For some bizarre reason lots of my friends are lawyers, I seem to stumble across them from all walks of my life, and they told me to jump to it. I immediately dug the old contract between mum and the Marlborough out. Faded, crumpled, dog eared, 13 year old, rolling contract from 2001. I scanned through it, underlined things I wanted clarified thinking 'what the hell do all these words actually mean?' A friend translated it. I re-read it. 'Aha!' I thought. I decided what I wanted changing and went along to see a music contract lawyer, naturally. David Gentle. And he was. He had a stinking cold. I was sat far enough away from him to hopefully not catch it but close enough to see how lawyers are brilliant wordsmiths. They are verbal WD40. We twiddled and tweaked the contract and I was very pleased. And he was a nice guy which frankly always helps. And he had a nice red cashmere jumper on. 

The Marlborough were happy, the contract was signed. All good.

2 comments:

  1. Anna, of very slowly in the Art World, so to speak....Your Father was a great Painter and he stands with the bets of the Brits; only Kossof and Auerbach remain of that caliber. I have followed Ken Kiff's work for at least two decades. I will write more to you later. Love what you are oding with your Accupuncture! - Kit

    ReplyDelete